Xylocaine 10% pump spray may be used for the following reasons:
• To produce temporary loss of sensation in a part of the body before certain types of examination and instrumentation are performed by your doctor e.g. examination of your lungs. This may also help prevent coughing or gagging from the procedures.
• To help prevent pain associated with minor surgical procedures in the ear, nose and throat
• To help prevent pain during the puncture of a cavity of the upper jaw (the maxillary sinus)
• To help prevent pain and or discomfort at the dentist eg prior to injection
• During general anaesthesia to prevent coughing
• To help prevent pain during the final stages of childbirth, before the cutting or stitching of the perineum (skin between the vagina and anus)
• Xylocaine belongs to a group of medicines called local anaesthetics.
It works by producing a temporary loss of sensation in the area where it is applied.